Search This Blog

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Album Review: Phil Collins - ...But Seriously (1989)

It may be seen in certain music snob circles that to appreciate Phil Collins and all his works is punishable by either scaphism, being made to join the Navy and subject to flogging around the fleet or hanging, drawing or quartering. Or by being forced to admit to the world that you still live with your mother, and despite being 35, have to be home by half six and in bed by eight. Well, I'm 28, flatting, and go to bed at 4 in the morning. And given the size of the New Zealand Navy, being flogged around the fleet would ultimately mean being slapped on the wrist with a wet shoe lace. Oh, and I do like Phil Collins' music. A lot, actually. I partially credit him for introducing me to popular music at an early age back in the mid-eighties, long before the Spice Girls or the Backstreet Boys came along and buggered things up big time. Any music critic who says the Spice Girls were the best thing since sliced bread should be crucified upside down, in my opinion.

Now, I've been listening to Phil Collins well before 1989's ...But Seriously. But this particular album I hold dearly above many other records on account of the fact that there are so many good songs on it, including ones that got bugger all to zip radio coverage. And just like the low profile songs, there's bugger all bad songs here as well. From "Hang in Long Enough", to "Another Day in Paradise", this is an album that I would play if the stop and fast forward buttons on my CD player were shagged. My verdict - a better album than what most critics would call it, and possibly one of Phil Collins' best. A


No comments:

Post a Comment