Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2011

Album Review: Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)

Continually reneging on my promise that I could never take up a certain genre of music or listen to a specific artist, I can now openly admit to enjoying the fruits of the genre known as 'grunge'. Back in the early nineties, I hated grunge just as much as I hated heavy metal back in the late eighties, and I held the rest of the emerging alternative rock scene with equal disdain. However, after the process of maturation that comes with a increasingly diverse musical palette, I inevitably and invariably find myself indulging in the masterpiece that is Nirvana's Nevermind. Sounding a lot like Neil Young, but only of course, when he's angry, this collection of Gen-X ballads has finally struck a chord with me. My personal favorite is "In Bloom", but don't let that distract you from other top-notch numbers, such as the anthemic "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Come As You Are" and "Polly." And the worst you could possibly do here is decide to wear flannel. A-


No comments:

Post a Comment