Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Dave's Favorite Bands of the Past Four Decades

A new year, and a new decade already, wow time really goes too fast! Which in a way is a good thing, because you skip crappy music eras at a much faster pace. But on the other hand, you appear to get older quicker, and therefore die quicker. Which sucks, because I'll never have enough time to sample all the music I want to hear, and there's never a shortage of it either. But never mind my chronological hypochondria, here is yet another favorites list...

1960s: The Beatles

Woefully predictable - you'd think I had no mind of my own when I say the Fab Four was the greatest band of the decade. But 300 million music critics can't be wrong, and you simply can't deny facts. Gimme "Hey Jude", "Rocky Raccoon", "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" and "Octopus' Garden", and you won't hear one word of complaint from me...

1970s: The Ramones

I've always been a closet punk rock fan, and this'll squash anything that suggests otherwise. Simple three-chord rock 'n' roll that'll grow on you faster than a malignant neck growth in Hiroshima. From "Blitzkrieg Bop" to "Chain Saw", you'll want to pull your stereo apart just to solder the repeat button pins together...

1980s: Metallica

The eighties was my favorite decade, even though I was just a kid (which explains a lot today) I have more fond memories than I have brain cells. Most of the decade I spent listening to the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Phil Collins and Michael Jackson earlier on to Fine Young Cannibals and Milli Vanilli (of whom I'm deeply ashamed to admit) towards the later years. This is the decade in which my love of music developed. But it took another 15 flippin' years for me to get hooked on the legendary Metallica, whom in their prime were an unstoppable force of epic proportions. No other thrash metal band has, or ever will rival their eighties works, EVER. To discover this band for the first time is like discovering a cure for cancer.

1990s: Green Day

In terms of overall quality, Green Day comes out on tops in the 90s group. Stereotypically punk, their 1994 album Dookie is regarded as one of the era's best, getting them my personal thumbs up as the best act of the 90s.

2000's: The White Stripes

Listen to Elephant, and you'll hear that simplicity need not be boring. Two colors, two band members, and what do you get for your money? The greatest rock act of the noughties by far. How many acts of this era made Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list? Sweet diddly bugger all, and these guys are quite rightly one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment