Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Album Review: The Strokes - Room on Fire (2003)

It has been my general opinion since 1997 that contemporary music has been getting progressively worse overall. My favorite radio station, which I liked because it played a balanced mixture of 80s music and (at that time) contemporary music, shut down and was replaced by a radio station catering for tweens and daddy's little teenage girls. The music they played was the crappy stuff, such as the Spice Girls and the Vengaboys, and everything else in between. If I'm being honest, I'd rather visit a nude beach than put up with Ginger Spice's acidic yodeling.

The Strokes aren't too bad by contemporary standards. They try their best, they have a largely positive image, and I like their album covers. I also like Albert Hammond Jr's name for some reason, it makes him sound like a veteran of the music industry, and hence a professional. By buying their 2003 record Room on Fire, you'll look at the album cover and instantly think '1970s.' But although it isn't a horrible album, there are notable flaws, one of them being the fact it doesn't sound 1970s at all, and the other is the tempos - they sound like they're having what their name implies, a stroke. "12:51", however is a fantastic song, and highly melodic, which as always I love. Record-mates "Between Love & Hate" and "The End Has No End", also make me want to live, but the rest simply get the 'meh' treatment from me. They're a bit like drinking Diet Sprite - you'll put up with it, but you'd much rather have the good stuff any day of the week. B


No comments:

Post a Comment